Director of Product
The Director of Product reports to the Chief Commercial Officer and is responsible for product management and new product definition for Rockley Photonics. This individual will play a key role in defining the Rockley Photonics roadmap for high-density, low-power, economical optical communications through tight integration with digital electronics.
The Director of Product is responsible for opportunity analysis, new product definition, product positioning, and alignment with customers regarding new product offerings. This individual owns the marketing requirements and business case for company development projects. As the business grows, the Director of Product will be responsible for growing the product team and providing direction, mentorship and leadership to product managers in North America and abroad.
- Study and train on Rockley Photonics technology. Develop technically detailed and compelling presentations which capture Rockley Photonics’ core platform advantages.
- Lead and perform market research to identify opportunities and quantify the business case for new projects.
- Establish engagements with tier-1 customer partners to align Rockley Photonics product roadmap with customer end-market needs. Facilitate detailed technical discussions with customer system leads involving Rockley Photonics team members.
- Working in a cross-functional team comprised of Rockley Photonics’ team leads, establish product roadmap requirements and initiate new development projects.
- Define marketing requirements documents (MRDs) with substantiated customer/market feedback to support the product definition plus internal alignment on engineering team capabilities.
- Develop, present and defend the business case for new project proposals.
- Establish the pricing strategy for new product families. Continuously review and refine the company price book for portfolio offerings.
- Prepare marketing collateral (including presentations and whitepapers) explaining Rockley Photonics product features. Establish clear differentiation with respect to market alternatives.
- Establish, present, and refine product positioning for high market impact with emphasis on the key attributes favored by target customers.
- For new products, work with the sales team to establish early customer traction and secure lead customers. Remain engaged in “alpha” customer sales activities through first customer sampling.
- Serve as the business lead within the product development core team. Communicate whole-product requirements and prioritize among development options. Work closely with engineering leads to engage, motivate, and lead the team towards successful product delivery.
- Periodically contribute to company business plan and support investor due diligence.
- Recruit, train, and lead new product managers as required to perform the tasks above as the business grows.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilites
The Director of Product is instrumental to delivering the Rockley Photonics vision for high-density, low-power, economical optical communications through tight integration with digital electronics. Above all else, this individual must be committed to delivering compelling new products which anticipate and cater to next generation customer needs, with an eye to large opportunities that align to company core competencies.
Success in this role requires excellent market insight, an ability to assimilate complex new technologies into business strategies, and a passion for solutions that are smarter/faster/cheaper/lower-power than what is currently thought possible. The candidate should have an eye for product differentiation and be highly articulate in communicating the advantages of the products he or she defines. Excellent communication skills (written, PowerPoint, and interpersonal) are required. This individual must be confident handling new technical content and in influencing product decisions across an extraordinary range of technical disciplines. Exceptionally fast quantitative skills including financial analysis (ROI analysis, pricing analysis, scenario analysis) are assumed and required.
Working responsibilities for the Director of Product are expected to expand increasingly into a supervisory/managerial role as the business grows. It is critical for this individual to work effectively in both an individual capacity and as a supervisor of a team.
Educational & Experience
Requires a minimum of 10 years of experience in product management, marketing, engineering development, systems architecture, or customer product engineering, including at least 5 years working in a cross-functional management capacity. Requires a bachelor’s degree and at least 3 years of industry experience in one of the following technical fields: electrical engineering, materials science, mechanical engineering, biomedical engineering, physics/applied physics, optics, or a related field.
The candidate must have demonstrated success in delivering disruptive, commercially successful new products. Extensive experience working on cross functional internal development teams and with highly technical customers is key. Experience in making executive-level presentations and communicating with high-level customer personnel is highly desired.
Email your resume to email@example.com and reference RP1096.
All candidates must be able to meet and work under Export Control requirements.